Brunswick Town and Fort Anderson historic site

http://www.nchistoricsites.org/brunswic/brunswic.htm         Broken link?


A major pre-Revolutionary port on the Cape Fear River, Brunswick Town was home to two royal governors and was the center of the naval stores industry. It was razed by British troops in 1776 and never rebuilt.
During the Civil War the Confederacy constructed Fort Anderson atop the town's remains as part of the river defenses below Wilmington.
Colonial foundations dot the tour trail that crosses the earthworks of the fort, the site of ongoing archaeological study. In the late 1950s and
early 1960s archaeologists uncovered foundations from Brunswick's earliest days, the most visible being the walls of St. Philip's Anglican Church dating back to 1754.
This state historic site in Brunswick County is part of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources (www.ncdcr.gov). Events at this and other state historic sites are listed at www.ncculture.com.



 
Address: 8884 Saint Philip's Road S.E.
Winnabow, North Carolina  28479
View Google Map
 
Contact:
(910) 371-6613 Wrong number?
brunswick@ncdcr.gov No email response?  
Created 6/20/2014




Corrections? Updates?   Edit images  




As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases (through ISBN links), which help support the site.

Privacy & security   Conditions of use   Admin   1997-2023 HomeschoolClassifieds.com, Knoxville, TN