House in the Horseshoe

http://www.nchistoricsites.org/horsesho/horsesho.htm         Broken link?


This plantation house, built in Moore County in 1773, was named for its location on a horseshoe bend in the Deep River. It was originally owned by Philip Alston, whose band of colonists seeking independence from Britain was attacked here in 1781 by British loyalists; bullet holes from the Revolutionary War attack are still visible in the structure.
Four-term governor Benjamin Williams later lived in the house, which now features antiques of the colonial and Revolutionary War eras. Williams and the enslaved people who worked there developed a profitable cotton plantation.
Exhibits topics include: the native Indians who once lived in this area; colonial crops; and backcountry planters' wives.
The site is managed by the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources (www.ncdcr.gov). Events at this and other state historic sites are listed at www.ncculture.com.



 
Address: 288 Alston House Road
Sanford, North Carolina  27330
View Google Map
 
Contact:
(919) 947-2051 Wrong number?
horseshoe@ncdcr.gov No email response?  
Created 6/20/2014




Corrections? Updates?   Edit images  




As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases (through ISBN links), which help support the site.

Privacy & security   Conditions of use   Admin   1997-2021 HomeschoolClassifieds.com, Knoxville, TN